Thursday 30 July 2009

Decisions, Decisions

As in many decisions we make as parents, we value references from people we respect. In some instances our daughters will take the lead and find opportunities we hadn’t considered. Such is the case of my daughter, Lily, who met a girl at the Footholde clinics last winter. At first my daughter was a little intimidated by the physical play of this girl and her foot skills, but soon they became friends and Lily was invited to play a few games in her indoor league. Then Lily’s new friend’s Dad let me know about an opportunity to form a small, private group for intense skills, tactical and psychological training led by a young man who had worked with his daughter. That young man is Christian Isquierdo.

My daughter has been training with Christian’s private group for two months although she was on a service trip for part of the time. In this short time, her foot skills have improved tremendously. Where she formerly would never even have tried a new move in scrimmages and games, she now has the confidence to use them to her advantage. She is excited as I am about what she will learn from Christian in the off season and how it will help her attain the next level. My wife, Cherry, was watching Lily on Tuesday in a small sided game at the tryout clinic and Cherry said Lily made a couple of “Christian” moves around two other girls and easily scored on them. I can’t imagine her soccer growth with a year under her belt with him.

Christian not only teaches soccer skills and tactics, but seems to find the right buttons to press to get the best out of the girls. Our group of eight goes from U13 –U16 (2010 ages), C2 to Premier and is highly motivated and competitive, but Christian has made the intense workouts fun and the girls are very at ease with each other. Lily tells me he is the best soccer coach/teacher she has had and that includes her former coaches, Coerver, Thunder and Footholde trainers (although she is in love with Jonathan S.). [editors note: aren't we all?]

Christian is highly trained and motivated himself. While the girls have fun at his training sessions, he expects them to listen, respond and work hard (boy does he work hard!). He takes the time to give each player individual attention so each can take something valuable away from every practice. As Lily knows too, he will not mince words if she needs a boot to get her going in the right direction.

I highly recommend Christian Isquierdo as your coach. Unfortunately, Lily is now U15 so he can’t coach her team, but she has him for a trainer which keeps her motivated for the next training session.

Thanks,

Dana Marcelius

American Agency, Inc.

Be Positive, Live Positive

Be Positive, Live Positive
My Trip To South Africa

Why Christian's a great coach!

1. He taught me how to Maradona around opponents.
2. He taught me how to bend corner kicks into the goal.
3. He taught me how to visualize my game beforehand.
4. He coaches me on how to handle pressure.
5. He never goes easy on me.
6. He made me only use my left foot for an entire week during a camp that was too easy for me.
7. He improved my technical skills (speed juggling, footskills, shooting.)
8. He met me on a soccer field 4 years ago and has kept in touch with me ever since.
9. He comes to my games to watch, then calls me afterward.
10. He doesn't get mad at me when I beat him. :)

Dana Buckhorn
u15 MTA Blue
1995 ODP Regional Pool Player